This course is designed for healthcare workers who need to be trained to safely move and handle patients under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005 and General Application Regulations 2007.
Anyone who is engaged in the moving and handling of patients/clients as part of their role in the workplace should attend this training.
There are currently no prerequisites for this course. Students should be physically well enough to carry out a range of patient moving and handling techniques.
To provide participants with the skills and knowledge required to apply the correct techniques used in Moving and Handling tasks while promoting at all times the independence and dignity of the client and the carer.
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
- To understand the structure of the back and the ways in which it can become injured
- To understand the principles of safe moving and handling
- To be able to comply with current legal requirements in the workplace in relation to safely moving and handling patients/clients in a variety of healthcare related settings.
- The Law and its Application to the Manual Handling Environment
- Musculoskeletal System
- Biomechanics and Mechanism of Injury
- Ergonomics and Risk Assessment
- Basic Principles of Lifting
- Log Roll
- Sitting Patient up in bed
- Turning patient in bed using sliding sheets
- Moving patient up the bed using sliding sheets
- Sitting patient to edge of a bed
- Standing patient
- Transferring patient from bed to chair
- The falling patient
- Correct use of hoist/slings
Course tutors are highly experienced with years of experience in front line emergency services who will ensure class participation so that individual handling issues will be addressed.
Max number of 10 participants per course.
Duration of course is between 2 – 4 hours long depending on the number of students on the course.
Venue & Equipment: To be provided by client.
Students will be evaluated on their patient moving and handling techniques. They must demonstrate competence in all movements and pass a written test.
On successful completion of this course a Workplace Fire & Safety Training certificate will be issued which will be valid for two years.
In order to maintain you qualification after your two-year certification period you will be required to undertake the course again. There is no refresher training for people who currently have an in-date certificate.